An Australian grandfather shot dead in the Philippines just days after landing in the country was in the wrong place at the wrong time, his family in Tasmania believes.
Anthony George Wilson, 61, and Filipina woman Mila Bailey, 41, were killed on Friday morning as they sat in a car in Olongapo City.
Filipino police said Ms Bailey's husband, Australian man Wayne Bailey, was also shot in the chest and taken to hospital with serious injuries.
Their young child, who was in the car at the time, was uninjured. Police said the child was taken in by the Philippines' Department of Social Welfare and Development.
Australian man Michael Justin McLaren, 52, was arrested about three hours after the shooting, police said.
Mr Wilson, known as Tony or Corky, had only landed in the Philippines from Hobart last week and planned on staying for a couple of months.
"He travelled quite extensively around the world," his daughter Amy told The Age.
"His favourite part of the world was the Asian countries because he hated the cold weather. He took off during the winter periods."
Amy said Mr Wilson, a retired abalone diver, had been to the Philippines twice and met Mr Bailey there on his previous trip.
"I'm just heartbroken that he's not here," Amy said, adding "he was just in the wrong place at the wrong time".
"I talk to him a few times a week. I can't do that anymore ... My son can't see his poppy anymore."
She said the grandfather of seven children, and father of five, was a firm but loving dad.
He was "so passionate about the water" and motor sports, Amy said.
One of Mr Wilson's closest friends has travelled to the Philippines to have his body repatriated, which the family hopes will be done in coming days.
Another daughter, 28-year-old Ellanah Wilson, said he loved his seven grandchildren "more than life".
"He worked really hard to give us the best life that he possibly could," Ellanah said.
"It didn't matter how bad things got, I could always call my dad. He'd tell me: 'You're an idiot, but we'll fix it'."
The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade confirmed it was providing consular assistance to two Australians and their families who were the victims of a serious incident in the Philippines.
The spokeswoman said it stood ready to provide assistance "to the other Australian who was involved in the incident", but would not comment further due to privacy obligations.